ONLINE COURSE "LITHIUMIONGROUNDAIR"
Recorded course - Available on demand
To pay by credit card and start the course now, please fill out the desired number of seats and click "Add".
To be invoiced or pay by Purchase Order, please register here: REGISTER
The regulations that govern transportation of Lithium Batteries are constantly evolving. This online course describes the DOT regulations (49 CFR) in effect on March 6, 2019 and the 2019 IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations (60th Edition). This course does not address vessel transportation (IMDG Code). This online session covers all regulatory requirements for the transportation (air, rail or ground) of LITHIUM ION BATTERIES.
This session addresses the following topics specific to Lithium Ion Batteries:
- Differentiating lithium metal vs. lithium ion batteries.
- Determining if a lithium ion battery or cell is "fully regulated" or "small", or “medium”.
- IATA air regulations packing instructions: Section IA vs. Section IB vs. Section II
- A comprehensive review of the requirements for shipping lithium ion batteries "contained in equipment" vs. "packed with equipment" vs. lithium batteries shipped without equipment.
- Hazardous properties of lithium ion batteries, safety concerns and incident reporting
- Requirements for selection of packaging, affixing package marks/labels, prototype battery requirements and completion of shipping papers.
- State and operator (airlines) variations specific to lithium ion battery shipments
- State of Charge Limits for air transport of Lithium Ion Batteries
- New Lithium Battery label requirements that took effect January 1, 2019
- Prohibition of Lithium Ion batteries without equipment, on Passenger aircraft.
- New number of small packages of lithium ion batteries per consignment limits
This course INCLUDES required US DOT General Awareness and Security Awareness training. Students will be provided with an electronic manual that includes all course materials.
Students are provided with the HAZMATEAM 2019 Lithium Battery Shipping Guide that summarizes the major requirements. Package illustrations, shipping paper templates and more are included.
Students may stop and restart this course at their own pace. The course consists of videos, practice problems and an examination. Students should allocate approximately 7 to 8 hours at the computer in order to complete this course. Upon successful completion of an online test, students will be issued a certificate. Students can always call or e-mail an instructor while working on course materials.
OTHER ONLINE LITHIUM BATTERY COURSES AVAILABLE:
* We offer an 8-hour classroom version of TRANSPORATION OF LITHIUM METAL AND LITHIUM ION BATTERIES that addresses ground (49 CFR) and air (IATA) at the HAZMATEAM Training Center in Hudson, NH.
DEP TCH: NOT APPROVED
NH DES CEUs: 0.5