Online Course "SMALLLITHIUM"
Recorded course - Available on Demand
To pay by credit card and start the course now, please fill out the desired number of seats and click "Add"
To be invoiced or pay by Purchase Order, please register here: REGISTER
The regulations that govern transportation of Lithium Batteries are constantly evolving. This online course includes the very latest regulatory updates including the DOT hazmat (49 CFR) in effect on January 1, 2022 and the 2022 IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations (63rd Edition). This course does not address vessel transportation (IMDG Code). This session covers all regulatory requirements for the transportation (air, rail or ground) of small and medium lithium ion batteries (UN 3480 & UN 3481) and small and medium lithium metal batteries (UN 3090 & UN 3091). This course also addresses shipping UN 3171, Battery-Powered Vehicles, when the vehicle is solely powered with a lithium battery.
Updated course addresses changes to the IATA Packing Instructions for air shipments of small lithium ion batteries (UN 3480) and small lithium metal batteries (UN 3090).
This course is shorter than our Transportation of Lithium Batteries course, as we only discuss requirements for shipping small and medium Lithium Ion and Lithium Metal Batteries via ground (49 CFR) and air (IATA).
Small lithium ion cells have a maximum watt hour rating of 20 WH when shipped ground and air. Small lithium ion batteries have a maximum watt hour rating of 100 WH when shipped ground and air.
Medium lithium ion cells have a maximum watt hour rating of 60 WH when shipped domestic US ground only. Medium lithium ion batteries have a maximum watt hour rating of 300 WH when shipped domestic US ground only.
Small lithium metal cells have a maximum aggregate lithium content of 1 gram when shipped ground and air. Small lithium metal batteries have a maximum aggregate lithium metal content of 2 grams when shipped ground and air.
Medium lithium metal cells have a maximum aggregate lithium content of 5 grams when shipped domestic US ground. Medium lithium metal batteries have a maximum aggregate lithium metal content of 25 grams when shipped domestic US ground.
This session addresses the following topics specific to Lithium Batteries:
- Differentiating lithium metal vs. lithium ion batteries.
- Determining if a lithium battery or cell is "fully regulated" or "small", or "medium".
- Unraveling the updates to IATA air regulations packing instructions: Addressing the requirements of Section II of PI 966,967,969 & 970 and Section IB of PI 965 & 968.
- A comprehensive review of the requirements for shipping lithium ion/metal batteries "contained in equipment" vs. "packed with equipment" vs lithium batteries shipped without equipment.
- Hazardous properties of lithium batteries, safety concerns and incident reporting
- Requirements for selection of packaging, affixing package marks/labels, and completion of shipping papers (for Section IB via air).
- State and operator (airlines) variations specific to lithium battery shipments
- State of Charge Limits for air transport of Lithium Ion Batteries
- When to use the Lithium Battery Class 9 label vs the lithium battery handling mark.
- Prohibition of Lithium Ion and Lithium Metal Batteries, without equipment, on Passenger aircraft.
- Use of the Emergency Response Guidebook
This course INCLUDES required US DOT General Awareness and Security Awareness training. Students will be provided with an electronic manual that includes all course materials.
Students are provided with the 2022 Lithium Battery Shipping Guide that summarizes the major requirements. Package illustrations, shipping paper templates and more are included.
Students may stop and restart this course at their own pace. The course consists of video, practice problems and an examination. Students should allocate approximately 7 to 8 hours at the computer in order to complete this course. Upon successful completion of an online test, students will be issued a certificate. Students can always call or e-mail an instructor while working on course materials.
OTHER LITHIUM BATTERY COURSES AVAILABLE:
DEP TCH: NOT APPROVED
NH DES CEU: 0.6