2023 Transportation of Lithium Metal and Lithium Ion Batteries
Initial / Refresher 'Lithium"
(LIVE AT OUR TRAINING CENTER)
8 hrs - one day
The regulations that govern transportation of Lithium Batteries are constantly evolving. This course includes the very latest regulatory updates including the latest 49 CFR update and the 2023 IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations (64th Edition). This classroom session covers all regulatory requirements for the transportation (air, rail or ground) of lithium batteries. This course does not address vessel transportation (IMDG Code).
This session addresses the following topics:
- Differentiating lithium metal vs. lithium ion batteries
- Determining if a lithium battery or cell is "fully regulated" or "small" or "medium"
- Unraveling the updates to IATA air regulations packing instructions: Section IA vs. Section IB vs. Section II
- A comprehensive review of the requirements for shipping lithium batteries "contained in equipment" vs. "packed with equipment" vs. lithium batteries shipped without equipment.
- Hazardous properties of lithium batteries, safety concerns and incident reporting
- Requirements for selection of packaging, affixing package marks/labels, prototype battery requirements and completion of shipping papers
- State and operator (airlines) variations specific to lithium battery shipments
- State of Charge Limits for air transport of Lithium Ion Batteries
- Lithium Battery Class 9 label and the new lithium battery handling mark
- Prohibition of Lithium Ion Batteries without equipment, on Passenger aircraft
- New number of small packages of lithium batteries per consignment limits
This course INCLUDES required US DOT General Awareness and Security Awareness training. Students will be provided with all course materials.
Students are provided with the HAZMATEAM 2020 Lithium Battery Shipping Guide that summarizes the major requirements. Package illustrations, shipping paper templates and more are included.
**Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on a virtual session**
2023 Dates: October 4, November 16
2024 Dates: March 7, July 10, October 2, November 14
WOULD YOU PREFER AN ONLINE COURSE? SELECT FROM THE FOLLOWING: